Paul Dafydd Jones
- Harvard University: A.M. and Ph.D.
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg: DAAD Graduate Research Scholar, Wissenschaftlich-Theologisches Seminar
- The Divinity School, Harvard University: M.Div.
- Oxford University: B.A., M.A.
Christian thought; Christian theology; Protestantism; Liberation theologies; constructive theology; religion in public life
My current research engages the neglected theme of patience, and I have recently published the first instalment of a multivolume constructive work, Patience—A Theological Exploration: Part 1, from Creation to Christ (T&T Clark). My interests in constructive theology run alongside a longstanding fascination with the theology of Karl Barth: I am the author of a major monograph on Barth’s Christology, The Humanity of Christ: Christology in Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics (T&T Clark); co-editor of The Oxford Handbook of Karl Barth (Oxford University Press); and coeditor of Karl Barth and Liberation Theology (T&T Clark). I have also published widely in the broad field of Protestant theology, often engaging liberationist theology, political theology, and critical theory, and have written on religion and public life in the context of the late modern West and on theory and method in the study of religion. With Charles Mathewes (University of Virginia), I am co-director of the project on Religion and Its Publics. With Paul Nimmo (University of Aberdeen), I am co-editor of the T&T Clark series, Explorations in Reformed Theology. Future projects include the second volume of Patience—A Theological Exploration, a book of essays, and a co-authored book on religion and its publics.
- Elements of Christian Thought
- Protestant Theology
- Christian Theologies of Liberation
- The Theology of Karl Barth
- Hegel, Materialism, and Theology
- Freedom: Theological and Philosophical Perspectives
- Karl Barth and Liberation Theology, coedited with Kaitlyn Dugan
- “The Patience of the Father, the Responsiveness of the Son: Reconceiving the Christology of Church Dogmatics IV/2,” Zeitschrift für dialektische Theologie, vol. 38, nos. 1–2 (2022): 52–68
- Patience—A Theological Exploration: Part 1, from Creation to Christ
- “Rowan Williams’s Christ the Heart of Creation: A Reformed-Liberationist Response,” Journal of Reformed Theology 15 (2021): 3–21
- The Oxford Handbook of Karl Barth, coedited with Paul T. Nimmo
- The Humanity of Christ: Christology in Karl Barth’s Church Dogmatics
Selected Awards and Grants
- Co-Director, project on Religion and Its Publics Early Career Scholar, The Enhancing Life Project (John Templeton Foundation/The University of Chicago/Ruhr Universität Bochum)
- Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, Residential Fellow (Spring 2016)
- John Casteen III Fellowship in Ethics
- The John Templeton Award for Theological Promise
- Mead Honored Faculty Residential Member of the Center of Theological Inquiry, Princeton, New Jersey (Spring 2010)