Skip to main content

How to Declare


To declare a major in Religious Studies, you need to find a faculty advisor and submit the electronic Declaration of Major Form

Any full-time member of the Religious Studies faculty may serve as an advisor. Affiliate professors, emeritus professors, visiting scholars, and graduate students do not serve in this role. You are encouraged to select your own advisors and it is recommended that you first approach professors with whom you have taken courses. Once you have selected an advisor, and that person agrees to serve in that role, please send the Director of Undergraduate Programs, Prof. Noah Salomon​, an email, cc'ing your new advisor, to announce this arrangement, and Prof. Salomon will add your advisor's name to your declaration. If you are having trouble securing an advisor on your own, please email Prof. Salomon, who will be happy to work with you to find a suitable faculty member to serve in this role. While you are not required to choose an advisor in the same area as your primary concentration within the major, you may find it beneficial to do so.

After you've discussed your program of study with you advisor (consulting the degree requirements on the Undergraduate Major page along the way!), it's time to fill out the Declaration of Major Form. Please put Prof. Noah Salomon ( as the Department Contact on your form. On this form, list all the classes you have taken that you wish to apply towards the major and any other classes that you will need to take to complete the program. Note that the declaration form is not set in stone, so future courses listed on the form are not binding. The idea is to show that you understand what the major should look like in terms of having the correct number and types of courses. Please do not, however, change concentrations after submitting the form without getting in touch with the Director of Undergraduate Programs. Importantly, please keep the major requirements in mind when registering for classes so as to be sure you have fulfilled the major requirements by graduation. When filling out the form, be sure to list your concentration directly after you type in the name of the major (e.g., write: Religious Studies, RELI).  Please note that in order to declare the major, you must have already completed a Religious Studies course with a grade of C or better.  For this reason, please list next to the name of one course you have completed the final grade you received in the class.

If you have any questions about the major, or how to declare it, please reach out to the Director of Undergraduate Programs for the department, Prof. Noah Salomon, or to one our department's Undergraduate Peer Advisors.


To declare the minor, please fill out an electronic DocuSign form. Applications must be filled out in consultation with a departmental faculty member. Please put Prof. Noah Salomon ( as the Department Contact on your form.

Students with any questions about declaring the minor are encouraged to reach out to the Director of Undergraduate Programs for the department, Prof. Salomon, or to one our department's Undergraduate Peer Advisors.