How To Declare Your Religious Studies Major


To declare a major in Religious Studies, students need to find a faculty advisor and submit  completed, signed copies of the Declaration of Major Form to the Department of Religious Studies Office in Gibson 323 (yellow copy) and the College Registrar in Monroe Hall (white copy).

Any full-time member of the Religious Studies faculty may serve as an undergraduate major advisor. Adjunct professors, visiting scholars, and graduate students may not serve in this role. Students are encouraged to select their own advisors, and it is recommended that they first approach professors with whom they have taken courses. Students who are unable to secure their own advisor should email the Director of Undergraduate Programs, Karl Shuve, who will assign them an advisor. Advisors do not have to be in the same area as the student’s primary concentration (sub-plan), although students who wish to pursue further studies or careers related to their primary concentration may find this more helpful. 

Before meeting with their advisor, students should consult the Degree Requirements on the Undergraduate Major page and begin to fill out the Declaration of Major Form. Students are welcome to consult with their advisor or the undergraduate administrator in the Religious Studies Office in 323 Gibson Hall, if they have any questions or difficulties.

The declaration form is a three part, carbonless form available in the department office, or from the College registrar. It has a white top sheet, a yellow middle sheet, and a pink bottom sheet. The declaration form needs to detail a complete and accurate major. List all the classes you have currently taken that you wish to apply towards the major and any other classes that you will need to take to complete the program. Indicate clearly in the designated area what your sub-plan is. Note that the declaration form is not a contract, so courses listed on the form are not binding. The idea is to show that you understand what the major should look like in terms of having the correct number and types of courses. When your form is filled out, your advisor signs it to indicate that s/he has approved your plan. You are also required to sign and date the form (make sure to read the fine print).

At this point, it is best to bring your completed declaration form to the department office for review as there are occasionally areas that you, or your faculty advisor, may have overlooked. Once completed, your form is divided into three parts. The department keeps only the yellow copy. The white copy needs to be hand delivered to the College Registrar in Monroe Hall. The pink copy is for your personal records. Of these three copies, the white copy is the most important as this is what the registrar uses to update your transcript.