Jason Oliver Evans
Christology; Soteriology (Atonement); Trinitarian Theology; Pneumatology; Creation and Theological Anthropology; Black, Womanist, Queer, Feminist, Mujerista, and Latinx/Latin American Liberation Theologies; Theology of Karl Barth; Theological and Social Ethics; Scripture and Theological Hermeneutics; Practical Theology; African American Religion; Africana Studies; Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Elements of Christian Thought course (Fall 2019)
- Spiritual, But Not Religious: Spirituality in America course (Spring 2020)
- Introduction to African-American and African Studies I course (Fall 2020)
- Introduction to African-American and African Studies II course (Spring 2021)
- Assisted with conferences and contributed funded research for two special projects sponsored by the UVA Religion, Race, and Democracy Lab.
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Summer Research Grant, Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia, 2020 - 2020
- Summer Research Grant, Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia, 2019 - 2019
- Graduate Fellowship, Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, Duke University, 2011 - 2012
- Carlyle Marney Scholarship, Baptist House of Studies, The Divinity School, Duke University, 2011 - 2012
- Divinity Annual Award, The Divinity School, Duke University, 2009 - 2012
- African-American/Latino Alumni Scholarship, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 2006 - 2007
Peer-Reviewed Academic Publications
- Review of Kathleen T. Talvacchia, “Embracing Disruptive Coherence: Coming Out as Erotic Ethical Practice,” Theology & Sexuality, 25:3, 229-231. DOI: 10.1080/13558358.2020.1718998
- Funded research contributor, “Repairers of the Breach: Pandemic, Protests, and the Polls,” Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia. Published November 10, 2020. https://religionlab.virginia.edu/projects/repairing-the-breach-pandemic-...
- Funded research contributor, #BlackLivesMatter: Black Women’s Perspectives on Faith, Feminism, and Freedom,” Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia. Published February 20, 2020. https://religionlab.virginia.edu/projects/blacklivesmatter-black-womens-...
- "How the Ebenezer Baptist Church has been a seat of Black power for generations in Atlanta.” The Conversation, January 15, 2021. https://theconversation.com/how-the-ebenezer-baptist-church-has-been-a-s...
- "Whose Christian Flesh Is This?” Response to Christian Flesh by Paul J. Griffiths. Syndicate Network, July 7, 2020. https://syndicate.network/symposia/theology/christian-flesh/#jason-evans
- "Jesus in the Black Christian Imagination, Pt. 2." Urban Faith Magazine, October 22, 2014. https://urbanfaith.com/2014/10/jesus-in-the-black-christian-imagination-...
- "Jesus Christ in the Black Christian Imagination, Pt. 1." Urban Faith Magazine, October 20, 2014. https://urbanfaith.com/2014/10/jesus-christ-in-the-black-christian-imagi...
- "The Faith of Our Fathers: Reclaiming the (North African) Church Fathers.” Urban Faith Magazine, February 13, 2014. https://urbanfaith.com/2014/02/the-faith-of-our-fathers-reclaiming-the-n...