Andrew Steven Taylor
- University of Virginia - PhD Candidate, Religious Studies (Current)
- Harvard Divinity School - MTS Buddhist Studies
- Guilford College - BA with Highest Honors, Religious Studies
- Sino-Tibetan Studies
- Buddhist Studies
- Comparative Religion
- Feminist Theory
- American Liberal Religion
- 2020. “Tilling the Fields of Merit: The Institutionalization of Feminine Enlightenment in Tibet’s First Khenmo Program.” With Jue Liang. Journal of Buddhist Ethics. Vol. 27.
- 2020. “The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).” Database of Religious History. Vancouver, British Columbia: University of British Columbia. https://religiondatabase.org/browse/950/.
- 2020. “Constructing ‘Data’ in Religious Studies: Examining the Architecture of the Academy.” Book review. Religious Studies Review. Vol. 46-2: 211-212.
Selected Fellowships and Awards
- Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Dissertation Fellowship in Buddhist Studies (2019-20)
- Fulbright Open Research Award (2019-20)
- Taiwanese Government’s Hanyu Enrichment Scholarship (2019)
- All-University Graduate Teaching Award (2018-19)
- Chinese Governmental Scholarship (2017-18)
- Mandarin Training Center (National Taiwan Normal University) Merit Scholarship (2016)
- Dean’s Fellow, Harvard Divinity School (2012-14)
- Fairbanks Center Research Grant (2013)
- Classical Tibetan (reading)
- Modern Tibetan
- Modern Mandarin Chinese
- Classical and Literary Chinese (reading)
- Sanskrit (reading)
- Japanese (reading)
- French (reading)
Selected Lectures and Conference Presentations
- Celibate Mothers: Motherhood and Gendered Discourse in Contemporary Tibetan Monastic Communities. International Association of Buddhist Studies. Seoul, South Korea. Fall, 2021. (forthcoming)
- Implicit and Explicit Comparison in Religious Studies Scholarship: A Collaborative Experiment in the Use of Buddhist Categories. American Academy of Religion. Roundtable participant. Boston, U.S.A. November, 2020. (forthcoming)
- The History and Future of Tibet’s First Scholar-Nuns. With Liang Jue. Tibet Himalaya Initiative, University of Colorado-Boulder. October, 2020.
- 康区堪姆课程对性别实践的再想象：从马克思主义与佛教立场认识论出发. (Reimagining Gendered Practice in Khenmo Program in Eastern Tibet: Marxist and Buddhist Standpoint Epistemologies.) Delivered in Chinese. Sichuan University, Invited Lecture. Sichuan University. Chengdu, China. December, 2019.
- 利美（རིས་མེད་）: 教派体系 (གྲུབ་མཐའ་) 与大圆满 (རྫོགས་ཆེན་) 修行. (Ecumenicism as Doxography; Ecumenicism as Practice). Delivered in Chinese. First International Conference on the History and Culture of the Plateau Silk Road. Sichuan University. Chengdu, China. October, 2019.
- Revaluing the Inferior Body: Subversive Complementarianism in Modern Khams. American Academy of Religion. Denver, U.S.A. November, 2018.
- 无教派政治：蒋贡康楚仁波切之利美思想的初步探讨. (The Politics of Nonsectarianism: A Preliminary Investigation of Jamgon Kongtrul’s Ris Med). Delivered in Chinese. Sichuan University, Invited Lecture. Chengdu, China. June 2018.
- Of Cannibals: The Essay as a Metaphysical Technology. Dalian Minzu University, Invited Lecture. Dalian, China. May 2018.
- Translating Epics. Dalian Minzu University, Workshop Keynote. Dalian, China. December, 2017.
- The Color and Shape of Gnosis: Embodied and Unembodied Recognitions in Longchenpa’s Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle. Shaanxi Normal University: First International Symposium on Tibetan and Himalayan Studies. Xi’an, China. November, 2017.