Jason Oliver Evans
Christology; Soteriology (Atonement); Trinitarian Theology; Pneumatology; Creation and Theological Anthropology; Liberation Theologies; Theology of Karl Barth; Theological and Social Ethics; Theological Hermeneutics; Practical Theology; Theories and Methods in African American Religion; Africana Studies; Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Business, Ethics, and Society course (Spring 2022
- Introduction to American Studies (Fall 2021)
- Introduction to African-American and African Studies II course (Spring 2021)
- Introduction to African-American and African Studies I course (Fall 2020)
- Spiritual, But Not Religious: Spirituality in America course (Spring 2020)
- Elements of Christian Thought course (Fall 2019)
- Assisted with conferences and contributed funded research for two special projects sponsored by the UVA Religion, Race, and Democracy Lab.
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Recipient, Dissertation Fellowship, Louisville Institute, 2022-2023
- Member, The Raven Society, University of Virginia, 2021-
- Summer Research Grant, Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia, 2020 - 2020
- Summer Research Grant, Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia, 2019 - 2019
- Graduate Fellowship, Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, Duke University, 2011 - 2012
- Carlyle Marney Scholarship, Baptist House of Studies, The Divinity School, Duke University, 2011 - 2012
- Divinity Annual Award, The Divinity School, Duke University, 2009 - 2012
- African-American/Latino Alumni Scholarship, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 2006 - 2007
Peer-Reviewed Academic Publications
- “Sources of Light: Resources for Baptist Churches Practicing Theology,” edited by Amy L. Chilton and Steven R. Harmon, Reading Religion: A Publication of the American Academy of Religion. Date of Review: April 17, 2022.
- Review of Kathleen T. Talvacchia, “Embracing Disruptive Coherence: Coming Out as Erotic Ethical Practice,” Theology & Sexuality, 25:3, 229-231. DOI: 10.1080/13558358.2020.1718998
- Funded research contributor, “Repairing the Breach: Pandemic, Protests, and the Polls,” Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia. Published November 10, 2020.
- Funded research contributor, "#BlackLivesMatter: Black Women’s Perspectives on Faith, Feminism, and Freedom,” Religion, Race, & Democracy Lab, University of Virginia. Published February 20, 2020.
Selected Panels and Presentations
- Panelist, “Being and Belonging: Queer Christians in Conversation.” Co-Sponsored by Theological Horizons and UKirk UVA, A Presbyterian Student Fellowship. Charlottesville, VA, April 8, 2022.
- Graduate Student Respondent. “Ways of Hearing, Ways of Knowing: Listening for the Sounds of Religion” Virtual Workshop, Department of Theology. Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, MO, October 22, 2021.
- Panelist, SymPOSEium: Black Queer Theology. Upperman African American Cultural Center. University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, NC (anticipated: October 13, 2021).
- Guest Lecturer, “James H. Cone and the Black Theology Movement.” Given at Eugene Lang College, The New School, New York, NY, September 15, 2021.
- Moderator, “Boundless Love: Black Queerness and Spirituality.” One Book, One Philadelphia. The Free Library of Philadelphia. Presented Online by Joseph E. Coleman Regional Library, Philadelphia, PA, May 25, 2021.
- “Christians hold many views on Jesus’ resurrection—a theologian explains the differing views among Baptists." The Conversation, April 14, 2022.
- "How Baptists hold differing views on the resurrection of Christ and why this matters.” The Conversation, April 15, 2021.
- "How the Ebenezer Baptist Church has been a seat of Black power for generations in Atlanta.” The Conversation, January 15, 2021.
- "Whose Christian Flesh Is This?” Response to Christian Flesh by Paul J. Griffiths. Syndicate Network, July 7, 2020.
- "Jesus in the Black Christian Imagination, Pt. 2." Urban Faith Magazine, October 22, 2014.
- "Jesus Christ in the Black Christian Imagination, Pt. 1." Urban Faith Magazine, October 20, 2014.
- "The Faith of Our Fathers: Reclaiming the (North African) Church Fathers.” Urban Faith Magazine, February 13, 2014.
- "Episode 42: Who the Son Sets Free ft. Jason Oliver Evans,” interview, Brewin’ Black, hosted by Scholar P and T-Shaw, April 2, 2021.
- Interview, Moment of Truth with David Moses, 106.5 ELMNT FM, Toronto, Ontario, March 2, 2021
- "Black, Queer, and Saved with Rev. Jason Oliver Evans,” interview, Fruits of the Spirit, hosted by Enrique Cintron, December 18, 2020.