Professor and Chair
By appointment. Please email me. Thanks!
- BA, Department of Religious Studies, Lewis & Clark College
- BA, The Evergreen State College. Area of Emphasis: Buddhist Studies
- MA, Department of Asian Languages and Literatures, The University of Washington
- PhD, Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
- Tibetan History
- Indian Buddhism
- Dalai Lama
- Sources of Tibetan Tradition. Ed. by Kurtis R. Schaeffer, Gray Tuttle, and Matthew T. Kapstein. New York, NY: Columbia University Press, 2013. A volume in the Sources of Asian Civilization series.
- The Tibetan History Reader. Ed. by Kurtis R. Schaeffer and Gray Tuttle. New York, NY: Columbia University Press, 2013.
- The Culture of the Book in Tibet. New York, NY: Columbia University Press, 2009.
- An Early Tibetan Catalogue of Buddhist Literature: The Bstan pa rgyas pa nyi ma’i ‘od zer of Bcom ldan ral gri. Kurtis R. Schaeffer and Leonard W. J. van der Kuijp. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Oriental Series, 2009. HOS64.
- Power, Politics and the Reinvention of Tradition in Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Tibet: Proceedings of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Xth Seminar, Oxford University, 2003. Ed. by Kurtis R. Schaeffer and Bryan J. Cuevas. Leiden: Brill, 2006.
- Dreaming the Great Brahmin: Tibetan Traditions of a Buddhist Poet Saint. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Himalayan Hermitess: The Life of a Tibetan Buddhist Nun. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Among Tibetan Texts: Essays on Tibetan Religion, Literature, and History by E. Gene Smith. Ed. with an introduction by Kurtis R. Schaeffer. Boston, MA: Wisdom Publications, 2001. In the Studies in Indian and Tibetan Buddhism Series, a refereed series.